Friday 4 April 2014

Chicken Pox inspiration week!

 
 
 
 
My house of chicken pox ridden children became a crochet creative heaven this week. An official reason to stay indoors and create - wore off a bit by the end of the week once the spots had begun to crust over and the boys got their energy back but were still trapped at home!
 
I had a go at making the small purses I mentioned before. So straightforward in double crochet throughout. Even sewing in a zip was easier than I thought. And with the added beauty of a bead on the zip I love it. Loving the combination of colours - making more of these I think in various sizes for money, knick knacks and full on clutch size. Ooh, the possibilities are endless...  
 
 
Then on to my brother- and sister-in-laws cushion for their new nursery - baby due in the Summer, sex as yet unknown!
 
My sister-in-law had agreed some colours that matched their new nursery curtains...
 
 
Then I got my magazines and books out for inspiration.
I love a traditional Granny square pattern so I knew that I wanted to do one side in this design but I wanted the other side to be something different. A beautiful granny square blanket had caught my eye in one of my crochet books (DK Crochet) where the inside of the squares was a flower motif. To be difficult I decided that I would not actually follow this pattern but just create my own as I went along using it as a visual stimulus...
 

 
I love what came out of my head...
I began with 5ch, sl st to form a ring, then 3ch and 11 tr into the ring sl st to join and form round 1.
Round 2 - join 2nd colour into space between tr of round 1, 3ch, [2tr] into ch sp, * 1ch [3tr]into next ch sp repeat from * 11 times, sl st into top of first 3ch.
Round 3 - join 3rd colour into space between tr of round 2, 3ch, [2tr] into ch sp, * 2ch [3tr]into next ch sp repeat from * 11 times, sl st into top of first 3ch.
Round 4 - join 4th colour into space between tr of round 3, 3ch, [2tr, 3ch,3tr] into ch sp, * 1ch [3tr]into next ch sp, twice,  1ch [3tr, 3ch, 3tr] into next ch sp, repeat from * twice, 1ch [3tr]into next ch sp, twice, 1ch sl st into top of first ch 3 .
Don't worry that they don't look quite square as you join them together they gain the square shape.
 
I joined mine as I went along by holding them right side together and joining with a dc stitch. I alternated the colour of the squares as I went along as well. Bit of symmetry always looks nice :)...
 
 
 
The finished side looks great...
 
And the traditional Granny square side matched up beautifully too...


 
I then joined the sides together using a dc stitch but this time with the wrong sides together giving a lovely edge to the work. 
 
I am so pleased with the finished project that as soon as I get time I am going to begin replacing all of the cushion covers in my house with varying crochet patterns.  
 
What's next in my long list of crochet projects??
Mmmm, I have a pattern for a lovely vintage 1970s short sleeve top which I am desperate to have a go at, might get on with some more purses, or maybe do a few granny squares for my 2014 granny square blanket project..... the possibilities are endless.
Oh, and hopefully less chicken pox in my life...next week I plan for us to go out everyday at least once, just because we can!!
 
Until next time Happy Crocheting..xx
 
 

 

1 comment: