Thursday 14 August 2014

The safe arrival of Agnes, the Unicorn!

So sorry to have been away from my Blog for so long. The Summer really does cause days to just disappear and before you know it a week has gone by, and then two and then.....

As usual, lots to report!

But first, the long awaited unicorn! (Will do a separate post with the pattern for those of you interested in creating a masterpiece of your own)

Really chuffed with how 'Agnes' has turned out. My daughter was desperate for a unicorn that looked like the one Agnes has in Despicable Me - hence her naming it 'Agnes'.
If I were to change any of it, I may make the horn slightly shorter but no real issue there. Oh, and the pink eyes! A demand from my daughter, she was adamant that they not be black!
My most proud part? The mane! It started life as strands of yarn that didn't look that impressive but after a long time separating the strands within the yarn it suddenly became a mane to be proud to shake and neigh about. Am assuming unicorns would neigh?!! They look like they would!
 
Last week we were camping near Dover in Kent. I'd forgotten the simple delights of camping and the great outdoors. We had great weather mainly with only a little rain.
 
I failed to get much crochet completed at all as I was caught out by the lack of light each evening. It's easy to forget how much you take indoor lighting for granted when you are at home. Caught up on some reading instead which was nice to do.
 
On one of the days we visited Dover Castle. If you find yourself that way at all and need a day out I can highly recommend it. The castle has the usual castle features but in addition it boasts an immense structure of underground tunnels which were used during the Second World War. It was amazing and very thought provoking.
 
In one of the castle museum rooms we came across this -
 
 
It's a scarf crocheted by Queen Victoria and one of eight she made and presented to members of her military.

 
Isn't it amazing?! Before I had children and found my enjoyment for a life of crochet, I used to be a Secondary School History teacher and so this scarf appealed to me in more ways than one. I felt at one with crochet and it's place in history.

 
Look at the stitches. For those of you who I have taught to crochet you may recognise the granny square treble stitch nature of this scarf. It is just lovely. Rather like the sandy colour to it too. 
 
Made me think of my raspberry scarf that I made earlier this year. Looking forward to getting it back out in the Autumn. Just look at me walking in the steps of Queen Victoria ;)!!


Maybe we should all attempt a lovely crochet scarf for someone's Christmas present? Shall we challenge ourselves??


No comments:

Post a Comment