Sunday 27 July 2014

Cornish inspiration...

Well, I've just had the best few days in Cornwall with my big sis. Beautiful weather meant days on the beach and the evenings??...Crochet of course, along with a sneaky alcoholic drink or two!!
 
I wanted to share my purchase with you before I show you my Cornish crochet project.
 
Look at this marvellous wooden pot!
Isn't it fabulous? An absolute bargain at only £7.99 from a lovely little shop in Charlestown that sells all sorts of bits and bobs that you cannot imagine your life without.

I saw it and my first thought? 'Mine! Mine! Mine!' (In almost the same tone of voice as those sea gulls in the movie Nemo - you know the ones I mean?)

My second thought? Buttons, surely this is a perfect pot for buttons? It even looks like one!


Love it. Love it. Love it.
 
Now for the crochet project I began and completed in Cornwall. Flower bunting for my little girl's newly painted and carpeted bedroom.
 
The flower design comes from the Simply Crochet Magazine issue 2. They make beautiful embellishments to projects but are also great in their own right as bunting.
 
I've learnt from previous crochet bunting projects and did something a little different with the loop at each end of the bunting chain. After crocheting a chain and joining with a slip stitch to make a circle I then double crocheted into the ring to firstly make it stronger and secondly to make it a little prettier to look at.
 In situ -
Still rubbish at photography I know!
 
And in her favourite colours of pink, red and purple -

With a nicer loop to hang it with, it got me to thinking about the actual hooks we use to hang it up. I was thinking a nail with a pretty button glued to it but my husband was not convinced that this would be strong enough and thought the buttons may snap easily. So, he suggested attaching the pretty buttons to a normal picture hook and just banging it up carefully. Works for me and I always bow to his more superior DIY knowledge.
The pretty buttons I was desperate to use -
The hook and button on the wall -
This was such a speedy and relatively easy project to complete, I now want bunting everywhere in all different shapes and colours. How lovely to begin the 'crochet-ification' of my home.
 
New word 'crochetification' - to add lots of pretty crochet to your home. I think probably a verb? But what do I know!! 
 
Lots still to report on - a cushion that I'm making with some lovely yarn purchased whilst in Cornwall, our duvet cover that is looking a little sad so I'm planning a revamp with some material dye and some crochet embellishments, a purse I'd like to make myself to a design of my creating (oooh, get me?!!!) and a white unicorn that my daughter would like (may delay that for her birthday in November). Phew, that's enough for now me thinks.
 
I forgot to add the Granny Square blanket to that list! Ooops, and actually that reminds me that I need to make this weeks Granny Square and maybe some spares to cover any missing weeks over the Summer hols. Can't wait to see it all together. Will lay it out over the next few days and take a piccie and we can see how much it has grown recently. How exciting.
 
Until next time. x

No comments:

Post a Comment